The coronavirus outbreak is the biggest public health emergency in a generation, and we all need to play our part.
The Government advice is clear, the single most important action we can all take, in fighting coronavirus, is to stay at home. This will protect the NHS and save lives. People should only be leaving their homes for these purposes:
- Shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible.
- One form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household.
- Any medical need, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person.
- Travelling to and from work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home.
This guidance is in addition to the Government’s advice on social distancing and self-isolation. Links to NHS advice and details of how to keep you and your family safe have been published at www.gov.uk/coronavirus.
The impact of the coronavirus outbreak on our everyday lives and economy is wide ranging and the Government has responded with measures to support households and businesses. This includes asking banks to provide mortgage holidays, changes to Universal Credit payments and government grants and loans for businesses. Please see the links below explaining the help available and which businesses are allowed to stay open during this period.
I have been in touch with local community leaders and am heartened by the way people are coming together to help those in need. Both the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead and Wokingham Borough Council have set up Community Hubs enabling them work alongside charities to help the vulnerable in our society. If you would like to offer your support or need help, please use the list of links below.
During this challenging period, my office and I will continue to work hard to offer advice and raise your concerns with the Government. For example, if you have concerns about access to food and medicine supplies or need help with returning to the UK from abroad, please send me an email and we will do our best to assist.
By coming together as a community and following the Government’s clear action plan we will get through this testing time.
The Rt Hon Theresa May MP
List of Government support available for businesses: www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-employers-and-businesses-about-covid-19/covid-19-support-for-businesses
- Guidance on claiming Universal Credit: www.gov.uk/universal-credit
- Guidance on which businesses and premises must remain closed: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/further-businesses-and-premises-to-close/further-businesses-and-premises-to-close-guidance
- Wokingham Borough Council’s Community Hub. For information on how to help during the COVID-19 outbreak and if you need assistance: https://www.wokingham.gov.uk/health/public-health-campaigns/community-support-for-coronavirus-covid-19/
- Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead’s Community Hub. For information on how to help during the COVID-19 outbreak and if you need assistance: https://www3.rbwm.gov.uk/info/200384/news_and_information_releases/1521/covid19_resident_and_business_update_page